The Algarve Regional Health authority opens medical consultation for tourists
Non-resident citizens visiting the Algarve during their summer holidays can get non-emergency medical assistance at the Public Primary Healthcare Centers in the region, which have been set up for chronically ill patients and non-emergency health situations.
During the summer of 2016 the Algarve Regional Health authority (Administração Regional de Saúde do Algarve – ARS Algarve) will provide a public service for non-residents visiting the region at the Primary Healthcare Centers (Centro de Saúde/ Extensão de Saúde).
Patients with chronic illnesses and non-emergency health needs may seek medical and nursing care from the 4th July by requesting an appointment for a «Consulta do Turista».
«Consulta do Turista» appointments are available as follows:
Office hours «Consulta do Turista»:
- Extensão de Saúde de Sagres: Mon, Wed and Fri, 4pm to 8pm
- Extensão de Saúde de Alvor: Every day, 5pm to 8pm
- Extensão de Saúde de Carvoeiro: Every day, 4pm to 8pm
- Extensão de Saúde de Armação de Pêra: Every day, 4pm to 8pm
- Centro de Saúde Albufeira: Mon to Fri, 8am to 8pm
- Extensão de Saúde de Quarteira: Mon to Fri, 8pm to 24pm – Sun, 4pm to 24pm
- Extensão de Saúde de Almancil: Mon to Fri, 2pm to 6pm
- Centro de Saúde de Olhão: Mon to Fri, 8am to 2pm and 8pm to 10pm – Sat and Sun, 9am to 9pm
- Centro de Saúde de Alcoutim: Sat, 9am to 4pm
- Extensão de Saúde em Altura: Every day (except bank holidays), 4pm to 10pm
- Centro de Saúde de Tavira: Every day (except bank holidays), 4pm to 10pm – Sat, Sun and Holidays, 9am to 6pm
- Centro de Saúde de VRSA: Every day (except bank holidays), 6pm to 10pm
Emergency medical assistance should be sought from the Emergency Services (Serviços de Urgência Básicos – SUB) at the Hospital in Lagos and at the Public Primary Healthcare Centres in Albufeira, Loulé and Vila Real de Santo António, or from A & E at the Hospital in Portimão or in Faro (Centro Hospitalar do Algarve) which is available 24/7.
In case of Emergency, call 112.
The Algarve Regional Health authority provides first aid care at 32 beach health units
In collaboration with the Portuguese Red Cross, the Algarve Regional Health Authority (Administração Regional de Saúde do Algarve – ARS Algarve) is pleased to offer first aid assistance for minor health issues, such as sunburns, weeverfish stings and other minor health complaints/injuries at 32 beaches throughout the region. More serious problems will be transferred to a health centre or hospital.
The majority of beach health units will operate from 4th July to 4th September from 10.30am to 7.30pm, while units at Praia da Rocha, Armação de Pêra, Rocha Baixinha, Quarteira, Ilha da Culatra, Ilha de Tavira and Monte Gordo will remain open until the 18th September.